Functional Food Summit in Beijing Puts Spotlight on a Vibrant, Growing Industry
2018-12-17 16:50 Monday
Duxes hosted the 8th China International Nutraceutical and Functional Food Summit 2018 in Beijing on December 13-14, offering a platform for functional food professionals, including policymakers, researchers, and representatives of major F&B companies, to discuss the unprecedented growth in demand for health foods in recent years. The summit addressed government policies, product trends, growth areas, and market conditions for functional foods, within China and around the world.
The first day covered changes to the regulatory environment in China, with testimony on the supervisory system for health food, and safety controls for functional foods, as well as recent market data and R&D trends. Later presentations from representatives at Alibaba, NBTY, and Ernst & Young detailed the status of cross-border e-commerce, including the latest customs requirements, the bonded business model, improvements to product traceability, and new healthcare retail channels.
The evening of December 13th featured the Nutraceutical and Functional Food Industry Awards ceremony, which recognized nine outstanding products that have contributed to innovation and growth in the industry. The ceremony was covered by prominent media outlets, and constituted a showcase event for the burgeoning functional food industry in China. The awardees reflect the increasingly diverse range of functional and health food products available to consumers, spanning sports nutrition, elderly nutrition, supplements, beverages, and foods with special medical purposes (FSMP), and are underlined below:
- New Sports Nutrition Product of the Year was won by By-Health for Isotonic Energy Gels;
- Joint Health Product of the Year was won by Blackmores for Blackmores, Glucosamine;
- Eye Health Series of the Year was won by Blackmores for Eye health product series (Bilberry Eye Support, Lutein Defense, Macu Vision);
- Elderly Health Product Award of the Year was won by Nestlé (China) Ltd. for Nestlé YiYang Senior Milk Powder;
- New Intestinal Health Product of the Year was won by Coca-Cola Beverages (Shanghai) Ltd. for Coca-Cola Fiber Product Series (Coca-Cola Fiber+, Sprite Fiber+, Chunyue Fiber+);
- Popular Product Flavor of the Year was won by Danone For Danone, Mizone Cactus Flavor;
- Innovative Functional Food Product Form was won by Danone for Danone, Lemonade;
- Cardiovascular Health Product of the Year was won by Shanghai Ecmoho Health Biotechnology Co., Ltd. for Q-SORB™ Co Q-10;
- Sleep Health Product of the Year was won by Shanghai Ecmoho Health Biotechnology Co., Ltd. for Melatonin Gummy.
The final day included two sub-forums devoted to healthy aging and sports nutrition. The healthy aging forum featured coverage of nutritional deficiencies among Chinese seniors, improvements to elderly self-care, applications for HN-345TN in promoting gut health, "slow energy" in sugar reduction, functions of mitochondria, and the FSMP market, before ending with a panel discussion on market opportunities in China's aging society. The sports nutrition forum delved into retail and distribution for overseas products in China, effective weight loss regimens, methods for sugar reduction, marketing strategies, regulatory and licensing standards, and bone health, concluding with a panel discussion on sports nutrition innovation.
The 8th China International Nutraceutical and Functional Food Summit 2018 was held at a critical time for the Chinese functional food industry, when growing consumer income and health consciousness have created a flourishing market. The summit shed light on important market, regulatory, and product development trends, with firsthand testimony from leaders in industry, government, and research. Special acknowledgement is due to event endorsers: AFSA and FiA, as well as sponsor BRAVEIY, whose support contributed to a successful summit.